Source:http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/03/vancouver_2010_part_2_of_2.html
Year Created: 2010
Analysis
Exposure time: A slow shutter speed was used, therefore creating a blurred effect. This shows the movement that is occurring.
Use of Shadows: Shadows were used to create a more artistic effect and add interest to this image. The shadows also create lines and help to show what the subject is.
Use of Color: This photograph is in color. The different colors in the uniforms help to distinguish that these are different people. If the photograph had been in black and white, the separation of the subject into individual people would be less clear.
I chose this photograph because we are currently at the end of week two of the Olympics. One of my favorite events happens to be the Biathlon. I always forget that I love images of sports and the various ways they can be represented as images. I found this image to be interesting because of the unusual nature of the blurry subjects, which are in motion.
Source:http://www.npg.si.edu/exhibit/uniongenerals/#6
Year Created: 1862
Analysis
Lighting : The subject is appropriately lit with soft light. The image has a soft feel and does not have too much contrast.
Sharpness: The image is sharply focused giving a more serious appearance.
Background: The background is plain and therefore does not distract from the subject.
I was drawn to this image because I found the pose of the subject to be interesting and unusual. The way he is leaning with his arm and crossing his legs almost looks casual, while this is a very formal portrait. This portrait was with a series of others, all of which were stiff and formal.
Photo by: Sergey Gapon
Source: http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/02/kiev-truce-shattered-dozens-killed/100685/Year Created: 2014
Analysis
Subject's Expression : The subject's expression is appropriate for the situation. He looks exhausted unhappy. This does not seem to be a posed subject. HE looks like he could be in a quiet moment, deep in thought.
Obvious Main Subject: The main subject in the image is obvious. It takes up most of the frame. If the cross and the shield were cropped out there would not be a context for this photograph and it would not be as interesting.
Composition Clutter: The composition is simple. The background is blurred by billows of smoke, and there is nothing in the image to distract the viewer from the subject.
This image was interesting to me because of the subject. The first piece of this image that I noticed was the cross, with my eyes moving to his yellow religious garment. I was interested to know who this man was and what was going on. I also find it interesting that this picture is from a few days ago and he is carrying what seems to me to be a medieval shield.
Photo by: Matthias Schrader
Source:http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2014/02/2014-sochi-winter-olympics-part-i/100678/
Year Created: 2014
Analysis:
Contrast: There is a high level of contrast in this photograph. It creates a dramatic effect and draws the viewer in.
Exposure Time: The image is sharp and motion is frozen, therefore a fast shutter speed was used.
Lines: The lines in this photograph draw the viewer's attention from the lower right corner up in a diagonal, which mimics the motion that is occurring in the image.
I chose this image because I am interested in looking at images of sports. The photographer also created the first picture that is listed above of the Biathlon event. I like the contrast and the way the lines draw your attention up in the direction of the motion. Even though this is technically a color photograph, I like the fact that it is mostly in gray tones.
Photo by: Ryan Mercer
Source:http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20140122/NEWS02/301220031/Fire-consumes-home-Worth-Skis-co-owner
Year Created: 2014
Analysis
Focus: This image is a little soft and out of focus. It seems to have been taken without a flash, which could help to create this effect. The soft focus helps to give the image a hazy, almost confused and dream like look.
Rule of Thirds: It's tricky to evaluate this photograph using the rule of thirds. It's hard to say what the subject is. The firefighter, or perhaps the fire itself? The combination of the firefighter with the fire to the right creates an overall subject that is off center and follows the "rule".
Feelings: The image creates the feeling of a hazy, dream-like state. It almost seems like all is quiet, however, to think about what is going on, it probably isn't. This image captures a still moment in chaos.
This image captured my attention because of the still, quiet feeling it evokes. Intellectually, it seems obvious that there is more going on in the photograph, however the photographer captured what seems to be a lull in the action.
Photo by: Stanley Kubrick
Source: http://mashkulture.net/2011/11/30/stanley-kubricks-photos-of-1940s-new-york/
Year: 1940
Analysis:
Lines: The use of lines in the image draws the viewer's attention in from the bottom and down the street.
Depth of Field: The background is somewhat in focus, allowing the viewer to experience the full depth of the street down which this woman is walking.
Background: The background provides context for and does not detract from the subject.
I chose this image because of the depth of field. The image comes to life and i can imagine being there. The woman is intriguing because even though this image is take in the 1940's, her outfit is timeless and could probably still be worn today.





No comments:
Post a Comment